Tuesday, January 03, 2006

A Deep Debt of Gratitude  

A Deep Debt of Gratitude

5-20-05

In honor of my uncle a survivor of WWII, I pay special tribute to those who have and continue to pay the ultimate price with their life in serving our country. Other than those that paid the ultimate price many veterans made great sacrifices. I copy herewith a letter post marked July 20, 1944 to my father, Cornice Cox, from his brother Lester Cox from where he served in the South Pacific during WWII. I am reminded of those uncertain years when we as children were admonished to be quite as the war news was broadcast on the old battery radio. One of my all-time favorite uncles, Lester turned 90-years of age this past April - still getting about – but still very difficult for him to talk about the war years, in witnessing great loss of life.

This letter gives some first-hand experience of hardships of the battlefield, but also hopes and dreams that were yet to be met. We owe a great debt of gratitude to all servicemen and their families.

Get Memorial Day History:
http://www.usmemorialday.org/backgrnd.html

No comments: